[casual_games] RE: negotiation costs

John Welch john at playfirst.com
Fri Apr 7 20:36:44 EDT 2006

Yes, thanks for sharing such an educated opinion of two companies you
"never actually dealt with", Tom. I'm sure that "candor" is highly
useful to the development community.

People looking for an experienced attorney that has "actually dealt
with" companies such as PlayFirst and RealNetworks might consider one of
the attorneys that has recently represented developers in actual
negotiations with us:

Patrick Sweeney at HB&B - psweeney <at> HBBLAW <dot> com
Suzanne Bell at Wilson, Sonsini - sbell <at> wsgr <dot> com

I'm sure I could come up with a list of five others if anyone cares for
more.

If you want the real dirt on a potential partner talk privately with
people who have worked with them. You will learn more speaking privately
to people who have actually dealt with the companies you are curious
about than you will on this list. While still respecting their
confidentiality obligations, people will generally speak more freely
verbally in private than they will in writing in public. How would you
connect with the right people? They were all at the Casual Game Summit
and Minna Mingle at GDC in March, and they will be at Casuality in
Seattle in June. You can also just ask for references; for example, we
are happy to introduce parties we are in business discussions with to
current/former partners as requested.

Cheers,

-John W.
CEO, PlayFirst