RES: [casual_games] Advergaming

Austin Haas austin at pettomato.com
Wed Apr 12 15:36:37 EDT 2006

I have been involved in the type of Advergaming that James describes (custom
built games to promote a brand or product) for the past six years.
Unfortunately, I am limited in my knowledge by the fact that almost all of my
work has been with one company. That said, in my experience, the most important
factor to a client is how you represent their brand and how you can meet any
marketing goals that they have established for the project. For instance, they
might want to show off all 15 styles of their latest Trapper Keeper (one of my
first projects...shudder).

To demonstrate that you have this ability, it really helps to show prior work
that was for a client. When I was on the client side, we would see a lot of
really talented game developers, but there was always this issue as to whether
they could do _our_ brand. It is often the case that small game developers are
lacking design skills or that they are really good at _their_ style, but cannot
adopt someone else's. That would be a deal breaker for us.

Most of our work has been direct for the client and not through an ad agency. I
agree that this might be harder to come by, but I believe it's a lot better deal
if you can get it. From my experience, when you work through an agency, they are
usually accustomed to hiring freelancers to do a project and are not willing to
pay a decent rate for a game. They are a middle man and they are going to take a
large cut from the work that you do. If you are making games in Flash, they
often assume that a game will cost the same as a website, and that's a gross
underestimation. Additionally, they can be a lot more critical of the work that
you do, because they are going to push you as far as they can before they show
your work to their client.

As far as finding companies that you could sell Advergames directly to, I would
suggest checking out sites that have a lot these games, finding out who you need
to contact, and put your best foot forward. A lot of these companies are always
looking for new vendors. I suggest looking at kids sites like Cartoon Network,
Nick.com, Disney, Lego.com, etc.

-austin

Austin Haas
Pet Tomato, Inc.