[casual_games] Site Design Etiquette

Donald Bahlman dbahlman at xblitz.com
Wed Apr 19 10:52:29 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I got a response last week from a post that's really got me thinking.  What is good website design etiquette for promoting your games?  How do you make people feel comfortable when they come to your site?

We all want to sell product.  But how does one make your site attractive, highlight your games and (most importantly) key into that impulse buy attitude, without creating a lot of clutter?  I've got a friend who once said, "To sell your product, you've got to whore it up!"  Well, I don't exactly agree with that philosophy.  But where is the line?  How much is too much?

It seems to me that most of the casual games sites (using the download model) are designed pretty much straightforward, clean and fast.  What then are some strategies you employ to increase your downloads?  What do you do to give netizens that "feel good", want to come back "often", download and buy, kind of warm fuzzy feeling?  How do you create loyalty to your site?

I'm not asking for trade secrets, I would just like to know what you guys think.  I'd really love to hear from some of the larger sites like Popcap, RealArcade, iWin, etc.  And most certainly from the smaller sites (like mine) who have to think out of the digital box.

Any comments?...ideas?

Thanks everyone.  And thank you Lionel, you did get me thinking.

Donald Bahlman
xBlitz Entertainment

www.xblitz.com