[casual_games] Game resolution

Andy Makely rendermouse at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 11:02:08 EDT 2006

On 4/20/06, Ron <lists at rzweb.com> wrote:

> Pretty much every downloadable casual game I've seen is 800x600 these
> days.  Do people think going to 1024x768 would be a problem?

Be aware that if you choose to do your development in Flash (not that common
for downloadables, I know), you will encounter performance issues if you
build games above 800x600.  Flash 8 has a more difficult time drawing a
canvas that large at a high framerate without some serious performance
optimization and quality compromises.

Even at 800x600, it takes a lot of performance tuning to get a reliably high
framerate out of Flash on mid-range PCs, unless you have very little motion
going on at any given moment.

--
andy makely