[casual_games] Game resolution

Kim Pallister kimpall at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 21 15:50:27 EDT 2006

Another couple things to think about regarding resolution:

- Flat panel displays: Many more people using them (I've seen data on
this) and (I haven't seen data on this) I worry that in the low-end
budget PC space, they are buying panels from Walmart or Target or
whatever, that have extremely poor filtering. So while your game might
run at 8x6, they might upsample it to the monitor's native res (10x7,
12x10) but it'll look awful.

- One idea for supporting higher res where fill rate may be an issue,
would be to render it in a smaller area of the screen and pad it with
inert artwork around the sides. Not idea, but one approach.

- I've seen a few titles that give a choice of resolution (e.g.
Tumblebugs) but there's some debate about how the casual audience
will/does react to such technical jargon. Curious if others have
feedback on that.

Kim