[casual_games] Re: Aztec

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Thu Apr 27 17:58:43 EDT 2006

Thanks to Alex, Margaret, Daniel, Jonas, Kim and John for their comments. I
modified the section. Please let me know what you think:

http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/Casual_Games_SIG/Whitepaper/Production_an
d_Design#Visuals_and_Themes

And I paste it here for those click-averse ( John :) ):

Visuals and Themes

Keeping the audience in mind, the visual design in a Casual Game could vary
depending the target audience. The game designer should ask first who is
going to play the game before deciding on a particular theme or visual
style.

On downloadable single-player games, historically successful visual themes
were something that players are somehow familiar with. Games that are based
in real life environments (ie: Cinema Tycoon) give the player a sensation of
playing in a familiar environment. Other non real environments that casual
players are familiar with are those that have been portrayed successfully on
very popular Hollywood films: magic (Lord of the Rings) or exotic places
(Indiana Jones) are some examples. Contrary to popular belief in the
technological crowd, sci-fi movies are not as popular across the mass
audience. Casual Game designers should stay away from putting sci-fi themes
in their games.

Many downloadable, single-player games take the path of a "realistic" look.
But some have started to have cartoon-like looks (ie: Diner Dash). The key
is to not make the player feel they are playing a game for kids. Contrary to
puzzle games in arcade machines in the 80s (ie: Pengo), since most downloads
get purchased by an older audience, players in general get put off by "cute"
characters or visual elements that make the sensation of watching a Saturday
morning cartoon. Exceptions to this case tend to gravitate towards those
games which have a realistic theme (ie: Cake Mania) or have UI and
supporting graphics with a mature look (ie: Chuzzle).

When it comes to online web games, the choice of themes and visuals tend to
be different. Since the age range of web game players goes across the board,
there are all kinds of visual themes used successfully. It will depend on
the web site's audience mostly. Sites like Cartoon Network, Nick, and to a
big extent Neopets target younger players and hence cartoon like visuals are
the norm and work very successfully.

Use of bright and shiny colors, appropiately used, is a plus. Even some
special effects (ie: the use of particle systems to create an explosion of
stars when an award is given) have worked well in some games.

Cheers,

Juan