What's Casual, was RE: [casual_games] Aztec

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Thu Apr 27 19:12:52 EDT 2006

You are right Daniel. I'll take the blame for having written initially a
"download-centric" opinion on what works or what doesn't visually on casual
games. It was not my intention to do so.

Having said that, from the design point of view at some point you have to
draw a line on what is a casual game and what it's not.

There are two different things that I guess you were talking about: the
types of casual games, and its monetization.

In terms of the types, a lot of people may disagree with me, but I believe
that most Korean multiplayer games are not casual games. You cannot consider
a game to be a casual game just because of its short time span. If I play
Big Shot or Kart Ryder (two popular korean games, for those without korean
friends who can lend you their soc sec number) I'm not able to set the pace
of the game myself, it's not forgiving at all, and the rewards take forever.
These three design rules are the opposite of what casual game design is.

At the same time, we will never expand the audience if we don't provide
content for the rest of the not 40 year old moms. So what do we do? There is
a part of the video game industry that have been creating short-span, hard
to play and extremely rewarding once mastered experiences. It's called the
"Arcade" industry, and we should be taking cues from them (Microsoft, it
seems, has taken the lead on that).

There is always the question if a casual game designer can actually design a
good arcade game (in the same way a good tv show director may or may not do
a good movie), and that could define the extent of what we do.

And in terms of the monetization, I think that it's hard to tell how much
different business models will influence on the basic game design rules for
casual games. I look at casual web games supported by advertising, I look to
downloadable single-player games, and I look to casual games supported by a
subscription (like in Club Pogo) and all of them share the same basic design
elements. In Korea, the "webboard" games in Hangame seems to me to be
similar to the US ones, even though they monetize their games through
micro-transactions. Then again, this may change.

Cheers,

Juan