[casual_games] Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Robert Headley Rheadley at op-games.com
Sat Apr 29 05:14:10 EDT 2006

    I don't believe that is entirely true.  Yes, the player is limited to
    what is put before him, but you can't make someone buy an endless supply
    of clones without the desire for it.  I believe there is actually a
    saturation point for clones.  If you compare the sales of Zuma, then
    Luxor, then Tumblebugs, then Atlantis, I think you see a steady drop
    with each clone iteration - at least that was true on my site.

That isn't a complete hierarchy. Puzz Loop came before Zuma. It's not always
about who came first but who had the largest potential market and who was
able to better realize the idea. Zuma was released on thousands of online
portals while Puzz Loop was a relatively rare arcade game. Zuma has
attractive art and sound but Puzz Loop looked dated even for 1998.

It's not about idea's but how you bring life to them. If some one makes a
better game than myself, then cheers for them and if the game is worse, it
will eliminate itself. I don't think an industry of breakout clones and
variations on tetris can be too vociferous about game play clones.

Now, wholesale lifting of presentation and/or name that might mislead a
customer into thinking a game was some other game, we can't stand for that.