[casual_games] Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Allan Simonsen Simonsen at rocketmail.com
Sat Apr 29 05:34:16 EDT 2006

It raises another issue as well; we're all standing on
the shoulders of giants.

So.. we bemoan the Zuma-inspired clones. And yet, Zuma
itself has a more than passing resemblance to the old
PSX game Ballistic
(http://www.games.net/psx/104244/index.shtml). What if
Infogrames/Atari had decided to come after the Luxor
and Zuma creators? What if ID had sent Cease and
Desist letters to Epic about Unreal infringing on the
game mechanics and play-style of Quake?

Once we're trying to 'protect the idea' (through
patents or similar) we're quickly digging a hole for
ourselves... and I'm not certain we'll enjoy it down
there.

Don't feed the lawyers, it only encourages them. Feed
the game developers instead.

Allan Simonsen