[casual_games] Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Peter Nicolai pnico at gamelab.com
Sat Apr 29 16:35:10 EDT 2006

OK, I can't stand it any more - My apologies to anyone else I may be
presuming to speak for...

Diner Dash was not patterned after Betty's Beer Bar.  If anything we
were relieved that the games were as different as they were, and so
could (hopefully) coexist happily.  They are both Tapper-style games,
of course, but neither is a clone of Tapper or each other any more
than Cake Mania or Wild West Wendy are clones of any of them.  There
were even a few other games, Flash gamelets etc. around at the time
that were actually much more similar in certain ways, at least on the
surface, but why wouldn't they be?  They're all about serving
customers/waiting on tables.  Beyond that though, they all obviously
have different gameplay features and therefore aren't clones.

What surprises me is that people say they find it difficult to make a
distinction between games that are clones and games that are "inspired
by" other games (however heavily) when there are obvious, direct
clones out there that pretty much work exactly the same and literally
copy the entire game down to the last ridiculous detail, including
actual levels and help text from the original game, while
intentionally including no new or different gameplay features.
Regardless of one's opinion of either, they seem like two pretty
distinct categories to me.