[casual_games] Casual Games White Paper update

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Wed Aug 2 20:48:36 EDT 2006

In the next couple of weeks, we plan to do an update to the Production and
Design section of the Casual Games White Paper Wiki.

Based on an idea Michael Sweet from Audiobrain had, we plan to include
information on methodologies and resources for dealing and coordinating the
work done with members of a team in different locations, something quite
common in Casual Games development teams.

And to do that we need your help. We prepared a simple questionnaire, which
shouldn't take you too long to fill. Feel free to send it back to me
directly (so we don't send too many emails to the list).

Many thanks in advance. Soon we will make the update to the paper, and this
section will be a resource and a good help to improve this way of work
that's becoming essential for most of us.

Cheers,

Juan

--

Questions for Producers or Project Managers:

In your current project/s, are you working with team members located
remotely from you? If yes, please state the main reasons why you do it. If
no, please state if you plan to do it in the future, or the reasons why not.

How do you keep the other team members updated with the specifications of
the project (ie: the game design document)?

How do you keep the other team members updated with the project timeline?

Are some of the team members located in more than 3 timezones away from you?
If yes, how do you organize yourself to communicate with them, and how
often?

What communication technologies (ie: IM, Skype, etc.) do you prefer to use
to communicate with the other team members?

What type of software or systems do you use to exchange assets (ie: SVN)?

Have this been an effective an pleasant work experience for you so far?
Would you work with remote team members again?

Have there been miscommunications? What elements do you consider have been
the reasons (ie: language barriers)?

What things do you think we should cover in a "Working with team members in
remote locations" section? Feel free to also recommend us topics we should
cover in the future.

Questions for Contractors:

What's the most effective way for the manager to tell you what to get done,
and how?

What communication technologies (ie: IM, Skype, etc.) do you prefer to use
to communicate with the other team members?

What type of software or systems do you use to exchange assets (ie: SVN)?

Is your manager located in more than 3 timezones away from you? If yes, how
do you organize yourself to communicate with him/her, and how often?