[casual_games] Cloning: Geometry Wars vs. GridWars

Ben Lewis BLewis at Yatecgames.com
Thu Aug 17 16:12:24 EDT 2006

Let me just say that I have *NO* problem with cloning either, and the market
certainly loves it - otherwise the 20+ (?) Zuma clones out there wouldn't be
hovering around top 10 lists all the time. I also agree that clones almost
never (I say almost, but I can't think of an example otherwise) do as well
as the originals. I think it's safe to say that when Zuma 2 comes out, it
will blow away every other clone in sales.

Again, the problem with GridWars is that the creator went out of his way to
make his game look exactly like Geometry Wars and then offered it for free
on a platform where GW doesn't exist yet. Download it and check the art
assets folder - can't tell the difference between the two. There's even some
blatant Star Wars gfx in there (Death Star, Millenium Falcon)! If he had
just spent the time to come up with new, original graphics, Bizarre probably
wouldn't be so upset.

Ben Lewis

Yatec Games

Marketing and Sales