[casual_games] Game development duration, any numbers?

Ben Lewis BLewis at Yatecgames.com
Mon Aug 28 09:44:36 EDT 2006

>> Maybe, it would by useful to build a chart of estimations by genre and
features of games (or real data for well-known titles)... any volunteer? :)

Looking at my notes from Casuality Seattle, these are some dev cycles for a
few well-recognized casual games:

-Mah Jong Quest took 10 months to develop, with a team of three + contracted
artist
-Fish Tycoon took 9-10 months with a five-person team
-Luxor took only 3 months (against their will) with a 3-man team

I think it's safe to say that a game based on an "original" concept will
take significantly longer to develop than one based on an existing mechanic.
Something tells me that Luxor would've taken longer if Zuma didn't already
exist.

Also, something insanely art-intensive will just take longer if you only
have 1-2 artists on the team. I remember reading that Big Fish Studios was
able to crank out Hidden Expedition: Titanic so quickly because they piled
5+ artists on the project. Hope this helps.
Ben Lewis
Yatec Games
Marketing and Sales
(225)274-1550