[casual_games] [design]Geometry Wars

Daniel Kinney sonicron at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 17:26:53 EST 2006

There seems to be a growing discrepancy in our own industry's vocabulary. I
think it's important we enumerate and agree upon a structured lexicon before
we expect to have any cohesive discussion regarding casual games, lest we
find ourselves bickering in the face of misunderstanding.

Is "casual" a design style or an audience? Is "casual" a marketing
catchphrase or a meaningful phoneme to facilitate developers? Is "casual" an
inclusive or exclusive genre - or neither?

Until we can agree upon some form of standardization among the vocabulary we
elicit, we're each speaking a thousand languages at the foot of the Tower of
Babel.

Best Regards,
Daniel Kinney