[casual_games] hey all

Lennard Feddersen Lennard at RustyAxe.com
Sat Feb 11 12:49:13 EST 2006

This discussion is pretty interesting to me as it mirrors a lot of the
issues my wife and I have discussed over the past couple of years.  By
moving back to Northern BC, Canada from Santa Cruz, CA, USA we cut our
bills to 1/3 of what they were.  When tax considerations are taken into
account we really don't live differently than we did before - we just
get to work on the things we are passionate about.  We owned a home
there with the attendant near silicon valley huge mortgage and bought a
fixer upper here for cash.  There are many humbling aspects to starting
over without the silicon valley programmers paycheck but, in a way,
sorting out all of this stuff allowed us to go off the financial grid in
a very life liberating way.

This kind of stuff might not make sense for everyone but it has allowed
us to build something where we didn't have to mortgage the house and
risk it all on a single game.  I am impressed with Gabriels group
working part time and hitting one out of the park in their first step up
to the plate.  Congrats, seriously.

Sometimes I hear about people in this space and back in big corporate
games bemoaning how hard it all is and I just want to say to them that
we do make games for a living.  We make games for a living.  We don't
work on a fish boat where you could get killed or climb into somebodies
120 degree attic in mid-summer to swap out some wiring that's gone
decrepit or crawl under the crawlspace in a house to swap out pipes that
have frozen.  We make games - no surprise that it's competitive and lots
of people want to do it - but we still spend our time making games!

OK, end of ramble - happy game makin'

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7