[casual_games] Selling on your own site?

Thomas Warfield tom at goodsol.com
Wed Feb 15 13:32:28 EST 2006

> Setting up my own system and taking credit cards is just not feasible
> with the low volume.  I've noticed some developers are using third-party
> sites like Plimus to collect the money, etc.  What other places like
> this are there?  Is there a resource that has reviews/comparisons of the
> top players?

There are lots of different companies that do this and lots of resources
about it, especially outside the indie games ghetto.  The Association of
Shareware Professionals member newsgroups ( http://www.asp-shareware.org )
has lots of information about this.

A good starting place outside of the ASP is the list at
http://www.softwaremarketingresource.com/registrationservices.html ,
it also has links to a couple of sites that compare the services.

> One thing I would like to be able to do is some basic branding of the
> page that the user goes to fill in the order.  I've never like that once
> you click "buy" on the developer site, your taken to a page that looks
> and feels nothing like where you came from.  Do third party e-com sites
> offer this?

Any service worth anything can do this, all the major services have the
capability to design the order page to look how you want it to.

I used to recommend RegNow, but the low rates they advertise are only
available if you jump through a lot of unreasonable hoops.  I've used them
since 1998 but am moving to another service.  Plimus, BMTMicro and eSellerate
are the leading non-Digital River companies at the moment.

tom at goodsol.com
http://www.goodsol.com - Pretty Good Solitaire - 640 solitaire games
http://www.asharewarelife.com - blog