[casual_games] Microsoft's software synthesizer (DirectMusic)

Cristián Ramírez cristianhramirez at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 16 01:36:07 EST 2006

Hi there!

So far, I have noticed that all games that use MIDI for playing music doesn't make use of the DirectMusic's Microsoft Software Synthesizer (the default synth when DirectMusic is set up).
I see two problems with that approach: first, usual sound cards have poor MIDI synths (with the exception of sound cards that make use of better solutions, like the integration of professional or semi-professional soundfonts, like the ones available for Sound Blaster Live! or Sound Blaster Audigy cards). Second, MIDI instruments sound very different from one computer to another, due to the big market offer of different sound cards. You can never tell how your game music will sound for every gamer who purchase your game.
On the opposite, I am very pleased with the performance of the MS software synth. It sounds better than many average hardware synth, the sound effects are great (my favorite one is the stereo reverb, not to mention flanger and chorus), and the instruments are clear and realistic (well... it's not a Korg or Yamaha synth, but we are talking about games, right? :)
So, my question is, what's wrong with the MS synth? Is there an overall performance issue when using it along with very big demanding tasks (animation, rendering, AI, etc.)? Do you think that it is worse than the average hardware synth out there?
I would be very glad to hear some opinions about this topic.

Thanks in advance!

Cristián Ramírez
cristianhramirez at hotmail.com