[casual_games] unsubscribe

Brendan McNulty b.mcnulty at zylom.com
Thu Feb 16 02:50:22 EST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: casual_games-bounces at igda.org [mailto:casual_games-bounces at igda.org]
On Behalf Of Cristián Ramírez
Sent: 16 February 2006 07:36
To: Casual Games
Subject: [casual_games] Microsoft's software synthesizer (DirectMusic)

Hi there!

So far, I have noticed that all games that use MIDI for playing music
doesn't make use of the DirectMusic's Microsoft Software Synthesizer (the
default synth when DirectMusic is set up).
I see two problems with that approach: first, usual sound cards have poor
MIDI synths (with the exception of sound cards that make use of better
solutions, like the integration of professional or semi-professional
soundfonts, like the ones available for Sound Blaster Live! or Sound Blaster
Audigy cards). Second, MIDI instruments sound very different from one
computer to another, due to the big market offer of different sound cards.
You can never tell how your game music will sound for every gamer who
purchase your game.
On the opposite, I am very pleased with the performance of the MS software
synth. It sounds better than many average hardware synth, the sound effects
are great (my favorite one is the stereo reverb, not to mention flanger and
chorus), and the instruments are clear and realistic (well... it's not a
Korg or Yamaha synth, but we are talking about games, right? :)
So, my question is, what's wrong with the MS synth? Is there an overall
performance issue when using it along with very big demanding tasks
(animation, rendering, AI, etc.)? Do you think that it is worse than the
average hardware synth out there?
I would be very glad to hear some opinions about this topic.

Thanks in advance!

Cristián Ramírez
cristianhramirez at hotmail.com