[casual_games] What is a Casual Game?

Lennard Feddersen Lennard at RustyAxe.com
Tue Jan 3 22:23:20 EST 2006

My definition is somewhat the same although I think of the casual market
as a gentler, kinder kind of place.  This is partly because of
demographics I have seen for Real and MSN that define the the casual
gamer as over 30 and predominately female.  To me, Darwinia is more of
an indie title than a casual title - maybe our own Battle Castles even
totters on the edge between indie and casual although I'm personally
aiming for the casual market.  The ideal casual game is also < 15MB.

My rules, and Brents are broken by a game like Fate which I think is
supposed to be aimed squarely at the casual market but it's really big,
I believe it has an ending and definitely has a story.  Mystery Case
Files is squarely in the casual market but it has a story - and it's far
from the only example of a casual title with a story.

And here's another thought to get people going.  I would say that the
casual market is more commercial and there is less passion.  Lot's of
indies never make a dime or even finish their title for that matter -
but they aim for the moon, live and die for their art and, I think, are
often actually shooting for art.  That's my 2 cents.

Happy game makin'

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7