[casual_games] What is a Casual Game?

Steve Meretzky smeretzky at floodg.com
Wed Jan 4 10:32:21 EST 2006

The definition that I've always used at the intro to the Casual Games Summit
at the GDC is "a game for which the rules can be written on one 3x5 index
card -OR- a more complex game, but one for which vast numbers of people are
already familiar with the rule set (e.g. chess, spades)". To that, Dave
Rohrl adds "a game intended for people for whom gaming is not a major part
of their lives", which is similar to Brent's definition below.

Or, better yet, like the Supreme Court defining pornography, I know it when
I see it. But the lines are getting fuzzier these days...

--Steve