[casual_games] Re: What is a Casual Game?

John Szeder john at mofactor.com
Fri Jan 6 14:04:11 EST 2006

I think that minesweeper is more of a "core gamer" game.

Using deduction to determine where to click is not intuitively obvious to
many people.

I don't consider Oasis, which is among my favorite games, to be very casual
either and it is inspired by minesweeper.

Judging by the volume and frequency of posts to the leaderboard, I think the
reaction of the consumer marketplace speaks to my statement. The reaction of
the penny arcade people, who are very "core gamer" oriented also seem to
support that while the game is "downloadable", it is not really "casual".

It looks like people are trying to derail this topic just as we are about to
explore a boundary condition so I will defer to the wishes of the list and
shaddup accordingly.