[casual_games] Procedural rendering - again

Phil Steinmeyer psteinmeyer at newcrayon.com
Tue Jan 10 09:30:32 EST 2006

I experimented with Jpeg 2000 in the course of doing my game.  I found that
for the types of images I was using (colorful, somewhat 'soft' backgrounds
in Bonnie's Bookstore), that Jpeg 2000 was actually inferior at any given
compression ratio to regular Jpeg.

>From the examples on the Jpeg 2000 homepage, it seems to work better than
regular Jpeg for high contrast images with sharp edges, especially text.
But since most of us don't embed much if any text into
backgrounds/textures/images, the benefits may be non-existent.