[casual_games] Procedural rendering - again

Alex Saveliev alex at j2k-codec.com
Tue Jan 10 12:50:06 EST 2006

Hello Joe,

Well, I've just tested - 10 times :)

PNG uses lossless compression, but JPEG and JPEG2000 use lossy compression (plus JPEG2000 has an option to use lossless mode).

So JPEG2000 can make a very big difference, you can compress all your animated sprites and pictures even with alpha.

Another nice feature of JEG2000 is "resolution levels" - you can store a 512x512 texture and get a 256x256 version of it at no additional cost (even much faster :) or a 64x64 version for MIP-mapping...

You can make all your sprites in a game twice smaller by a simple decoding option! :)

--
Best regards,
 Alex                            mailto:alex at j2k-codec.com