[casual_games] Procedural rendering - again

James C. Smith james at Reflexive.net
Tue Jan 10 14:19:49 EST 2006

>> You mean the runtime vector drawing library? That's AGG, right?

We happen to use AGG to rasterize our vectors, but the "tool" I am referring
to is just the capabilities of our level editor and the vector art options
it has.

>> You say you use vector graphics only rarely.
>> Is that because normally they don't go well with your style

In Big Kahuna Words the vector art is used sparingly because it just isn't
appropriate for many kinds of thins.  The game has photo realistic fish
swimming around. There is no way to do this with vector art.  But the level
itself is made out of boxes staked in the shapes of different objects. The
vector art is used to accentuate the level design but not be part of the
background that the level is set in front of.

>>  I doubt.that you could have e.g. 50 simultaneous/separate VP6 video
streams

I would think you would just do all the frame extracting at load time.  If
your sprite images were JPEG compressed you wouldn't decompress the JPEG
each time you redraw the sprite. Flash compressed wouldn't have to be any
different.