[casual_games] Procedural rendering - again

Alex Saveliev alex at j2k-codec.com
Tue Jan 10 14:18:39 EST 2006

Hello Ron,

R> It has also been my impression that decoding JPEG2000 is much much
R> slower than JPG.  Is this true?  That is the thing that's kept me from
R> investigating it much further.  Load speed is more important to me than
R> download time or disk foot print.

JPEG2000 is definitely slower than JPEG.
When I started looking for JPEG2000 decoder I've tested Jasper and it
was way too slow. So I've created my own library :)

J2K-Codec is somewhat 50 times faster than Jasper.
So it decodes JPEG2000 5-6 times slower than the old JPEG.

But this doesn't mean that your game will load 5-6 times slower.
Old JPEG is very, very, very fast, so 5-6 times slower than very,
very, very fast is still fast enough :)

For example, 450x450 JPEG2000 image on my AthlonXP 2000 decodes in
67 milliseconds.

Of course I wouldn't recommend compressing all the textures in Half-Life 2
into JPEG2000 :) But for casual games it should be just fine.

--
Best regards,
 Alex                            mailto:alex at j2k-codec.com