[casual_games] Procedural rendering - again

Lennard Feddersen Lennard at RustyAxe.com
Tue Jan 10 14:44:21 EST 2006

I did some contract work last Summer for Artifex specifically to speed
up Jasper - I expect they kicked the source back at some point so there
should be a faster version of Jasper available if anybody is interested
in going that route.  I can't remember what the #'s were but there was a
low level bottleneck that got significantly faster.

I don't use lossy compression for my games, my tool chain uses zlib to
compress everything and I think this is going to make sense for a lot of
people on this forum.  Somebody yesterday mentioned 10% of their size
was in the executable - maybe this was just a guess but if it isn't then
they may want to make sure that they are decoupling their data and not
shipping with debug info. on (obvious but worth mentioning if 10% was
accurate).

"Of course I wouldn't recommend compressing all the textures in Half-Life 2 into JPEG2000 :) But for casual games it should be just fine."

3d games like HL2 are going to survive JP or JP2 better than casual market games.  Casual market games are typically 2d, hand tweaked by pixel images (I'm a big fan of gorgeous pixel art so applying lossy compression seems unfortunate) that will be shown with no filtering, scaling or other blending and lighting tweaks so that the artists work is shown unmodified.  HL2 is going to be scaled, perspective corrected, lit, blended and pumped through a half dozen other low level hardware tricks so I don't see how a misplaced pixel or two makes any real difference.

My 2 cents,

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7