[casual_games] C to J2ME tools

Allan Simonsen Simonsen at rocketmail.com
Sun Jan 29 05:31:31 EST 2006

Probably more usefull to think of it as a totally
different SKU, kinda like porting a franchise from PS2
to GBA :)

This is especially true on J2ME platforms, which
suffers from all kinds of interesting artefacts; both
in how the API operates, and in
size/speed/memory/screen restrictions. Compile once,
run anywhere....muahahahah.

In general, the gatekeepers to this market
(essentially the Telcos and the Aggregators) are
looking for these SKUs:

- S40 J2ME Version (64kb should be enough for anyone)
- S60 J2ME Version (128kb, faster CPU, larger screen)
- high-end J2ME (pick the showcase phone of the last 6
months)
- BREW Low-end (equivalent specs to S60)
- BREW High-end (equivalent to showcase J2ME)

If they like what they see, someone (hopefully not
you) will be asked to branch this into the 100+ other
phone-models on the market.

In addition, the gatekeeper may ask for DOJA or
SYMBIAN versions of popular titles.

BREW is a C++ API for handphones sold in US and Korea.

J2ME is used in AsiaPac, Europe and America

DOJA is an enhanved flavour of J2ME, used in Japan and
by other telcos pushing DOCOMO content.

SYMBIAN is a 'high-performance' C++ environment for
smartphones, where you can actually do pretty decent
development performance. The NGage was essentially a
S60 phone running on SYMBIAN.

As you can see; developing in C and porting to J2ME
will be the least of your worry; the bulk of it comes
in developing a flexible architecture that abstracts
the 100+ SKUs into a single interface, and does so in
an application that can fit inside a 64KB JAR file :)

Allan

Allan Simonsen                    simonsen at rocketmail.com
ICQ# 16606984