[casual_games] Escapist article on immersion -- seek quotes

Jónas B. Antonsson jonas at gogogic.com
Mon Jul 10 10:45:18 EDT 2006

Hi Allen.

I just wanted to throw you these links :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4310733.stm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/30/AR2005093002000.html
http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/about/pr-releases?pr=20050303

The effect of immersion can be incredibly strong, as suggested by the article. There is other material on this which I suggest you look into (google).

Personally I think immersion is strongly related to empathy. I feel that if I, somehow, emphasize strongly with some element, character or situation in a game then I am more likely to have an immersive experience. I think it also has a lot to do with creating situations where the player can feel heroic, strong, respected and responsible. An alternate reality where the whole world actually revolves around the player is a strong magnet - throw in a little empathy and you have a recipe for an immersive experience.

Jónas B. Antonsson
COO (Chief Operating Officer)
--------------------------------
Gogogic ehf.