[casual_games] Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

James C. Smith james at Reflexive.net
Wed Jul 19 12:55:23 EDT 2006

The Dynasty movie on BigFishGames.com seems to play a different sound effect
than the Dynasty game itself.  I downloaded Dynasty from Big Fish and played
for about 30 minutes.  During that time I activated several power-ups
including the pause/slow down power up.  None of them sounded too similar to
the sound used in Zuma.  But the sound used in the movie on BigFishGames.com
is nearly identical to the sounds used in Zumu.

When I watched the movie on BigFishGames.com I was amazed that such a
similar sound would be used for such a similar purpose. It seemed very
unjust.   But when I played the actual game I did not find anything I
considered to be an unjust use of sounds.

I wonder how the movie ended up having a different sound that the game.
Maybe the movie was made from an earlier version of the game.

James C. Smith

Producer/Lead Programmer

Ricochet, Big Kahuna, GameSalesCharts.com