[casual_games] RE: Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Jamie Carlson jamiecarlson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 15:06:28 EDT 2006

At 02:44 PM 7/19/2006, you wrote:
> >Heck, Popcap is certainly more than capable of discerning themselves
> >which Zuma-clones they feel they have grounds to sue over (see first
> >paragraph of the review of Magnetica:
> >http://gba.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/puzzeloop/711555p1.html), so mine
> >is just another opinion from the "Peanut Gallery". It's the beauty of
> >the Internet, everyone has a platform, do they not?  :)
>
>Notably it's PopCap that had allegendly been sued for cloning Puzzle
>Loop with Zuma not the other way around.
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuma_(game) &
>http://www.insertcredit.com/features/hitofude/)

Yup, saw that InsertCredit interview right after having posted my
last email. Thanks for getting it straight, my mistake...  ;)

If anything, PopCap proves that a full thematic change and gameplay
polishing makes a more than worthwhile purchase (the latter portion,
"gameplay polishing", being the factor which most influences our
decision to buy). I prefer Dynomite over Bust-a-Move/Puzzle_Bobble
and that's because of the fun powerups, the game's pacing, and the
overall presentation.

So see, I'm more than willing to play devil's advocate and admit when
an evolution of an original concept is worthwhile.  :)

- Jamie

P.S. I'm glad PopCap won that suit, that guy from Mitchell is
definitely out of line with this comment:

CHZ: I remember that in 2004 you intended to file a lawsuit against
Popcap for IP infringement with their game Zuma, a clone of Puzz Loop
which can be played on PC and Xbox 360 (via the "Live Arcade"
service). I haven't heard anything about this story since then. Was
any solution or arrangement reached?

OZA: My lawyers in Japan are supposed to be on this. Progress is slow
because if we do court battle in US, we would be at a disadvantage.
You know the Americans and their mentality. We will be up against
American jurors. You know how biased they are towards Oriental
companies. Popcap games' lawyer replied my mail and the one from my
lawywers' office. In essence, they don't give a sh!t. I think they
knew what they were doing from the start and they are bad
businessmen. You know that to think of a game and to actually make it
takes a lot of energy and money. Ripping off someone else's idea is
bad; they don't belong in the game business. In a few months, you
will see what I am doing. I am not a lawyer so we will do battle in a
different court. Did you know that Popcap also has a ripoff of Puzzle Bubble?

Really... and what "mentality" would that be, exactly? What a jerk...