[casual_games] Sudoku

adam adam at mindcandydesign.com
Mon Jul 24 18:44:37 EDT 2006

The basic algorithms for these logic puzzles are all the same - you start from a completed grid / table and use the inverse of the deductive rules that players use, and you remove one number / letter at a time until you have made a sufficiently hard / interesting puzzle.

Depth is usually scored as a combination of how many pieces you removed and how 'hard' were the inverse rules you used. Thinking up the inverses can be non-trivial, and of course intimate understanding of each game is needed.

We've relatively quickly made generators for many of the different puzzle types - but we are a puzzles company with lots of obsessive players internally to test them on, so YMMV in deducing the more advanced ops.

Adam
(from PDA, so please forgive  typos)