[casual_games] Self-publishing: How, benefits, and headaches?

Paul Hart mail at paulhart.ca
Mon Jul 24 19:57:28 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while, reading with interest. I'm a full-time
coder, but when it comes to games I'm a bedroom programmer.

I'm developing J2ME mobile games and am interested in the intricacies of
self-publishing. To some extent the catalyst for the question was seeing
Mark Ripley posting here with his www.cheeky.gr site but I'm interested
in knowing what the benefits are (if any) of publishing through more
recognized channels.

I've been focusing on the programming of games and not the getting of
games to players, so my understanding of that side of things is more
sparse. I've read through the IGDA Mobile White Paper, and that's helped
a bit, but I'm interested in hearing other people's perspectives.
Although I'm going the mobile route, I'm keen on getting stories from
everyone.

If it makes any difference (probably does), the games I'm working on
will require a back-end server to complete the functionality. I come
from a web and CRM background, so coding that isn't something I'd need
to outsource unless I had to tie in with another company's proprietary
systems.

Thanks for your time,

Paul