[casual_games] surprising stats about casual gaming

bizdev at injoygames.com bizdev at injoygames.com
Tue Jul 25 10:52:47 EDT 2006

What about the success of Fate?

Steve Meretzky wrote:

> Even if the gameplay of Diablo were appealing to casual gamers, the
theme/tone would be a turn-off.

> While the long play-sessions of many 5 minute games prove that casual
gamers have the time for a longer game, it doesn’t necessarily prove
that they have interest in a longer game. While a longer game can in
theory be just as easy to pick up, with as simple and intuitive a rule
set, the perception is likely to be that a longer game will be “like
those PC and console games my teenage son plays, and that I could never
figure out”. (And, frankly, I’m not sure that a longer casual game
wouldn’t end up that way any way, as the designers of the game give in
to the temptation afforded by the longer game to add more features and
complexity.)

> If there are going to be longer-play casual games, it will probably be
as a result of gradually weaning the casual audience in that direction.
I think the trend of many downloadable games to have a light uber-game
which ties together the 5-minute levels is promising movement in that
direction. For example, the familiar mechanic of a world map which,
after you complete 5 levels, shows you “traveling” from the oasis to the
pyramid, leaving a dotted line to show the journey traveled so far,
resuming playing at a slightly harder difficulty level. Thus you have a
many-hour game, which feels like a bunch of 5-minute games -- and which
in fact a player who is uninterested in (or intimidated by) the
uber-game can just ignore that uber-game and actually play it as a
stand-alone 5-minute game. (It would be interesting to know what
percentage of players of games that are thusly structured focus on the
uber-game, and what percentage ignore it.)