[casual_games] surprising stats about casual gaming

Dave Selle Dave.Selle at wildtangent.com
Wed Jul 26 12:51:55 EDT 2006

Can't resist jumping in on the subject of Fate. It is indeed performing
very well.

I think Fate's impressive success is indicative that a significant
number of casual gamers are willing and even eager to eager to embrace a
game that offers--but does not demand--a long play session and that a
"traditional game" theme/tone can resonate with this audience if it is
treated appropriately.

Casual users are not turned off merely by the perception that a game can
offer a long play session (I would argue this may even be considered
valuable) but rather by the perception of the overall complexity that
must be mastered in order for them to achieve a feeling of competence
and accomplishment.

Having said that, I also agree that it would be really easy to miss the
mark and create a big fat (expensive) mess that appeals neither to the
"traditional" gamer nor to the casual audience.

--Dave