[casual_games] "Don't Roll Over" Casuality Slides

Brian Robbins brian-l at dubane.com
Thu Jun 29 11:19:22 EDT 2006

Steve, you hit on the biggest point that I hope people take from this talk:

We all need to work to make sure that everyone is informed about what
deals typically are, and what developers (and even publishers) should
be looking for when signing deals.

We're currently in an industry where you have a lot of newer entrants
to the space who, because of the low barrier to entry, are able to
make a successful game, but, because they don't have experience, are
taking the first deal offered without even the most basic inclination
of whether it is good, bad or otherwise.

If everyone can learn the basic points of a deal, the key elements to
look for and ask about, and can get a rough idea of what kind of
numbers to look for, then they will be able to bring that information
to the table during negotiation. It may still make sense for those new
developers to take a more unfavorable deal, but at least they will
choose to do so, instead of accepting blindly and not even knowing
that's what they did.

--
Brian Robbins
Director of Games, Game Trust