[casual_games] "Don't Roll Over" Casuality Slides

Steve Meretzky smeretzky at floodg.com
Thu Jun 29 11:03:44 EDT 2006

Nice talk, Brian. It seems to me that portals will only budge when they have
to, and they'll only have to in the face of considerably more developer
solidarity than exists right now. If some of the major developers got
together and drew up a set of guidelines/principles/model contract to cover
the minimum acceptable portal deal, and publicize the hell out of it ...
then if a developer made a deal with a portal that didn't meet those
minimums, they'd at least know that they were breaking ranks. And we'd of
course then shun them and not invite them to Minna Mingles anymore.

Also, I must again make a plug for more innovative casual game designs ...
if an offering is very me-too-ish, a portal can ignore it if a similar game
is being offered by a developer willing to toe the financial line. But if
the game is unique, the portal will have to budge on its terms (at least
until the clones arrive, but that would be many months during which rival
portals would have an exclusive on that type of game...)

--Steve