[casual_games] "Don't Roll Over" Casuality Slides

Sweeney, Patrick psweeney at HBBLAW.com
Thu Jun 29 15:46:30 EDT 2006

Respectfully, I disagree (at least partially).

Virtually any publisher will move on some business/legal points in their
agreements.  I have not seen any "take it or leave it" publishers.

The "starving" characterization definitely skews things against you from
a leverage perspective, but starving or not, studios should always think
about getting to the best deal possible under the circumstances.

Recognizing that leverage is not generally in the studio's favor, there
is almost always SOME room to negotiate and improve your deal.  Take
that opportunity when it arises.

Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: casual_games-bounces at igda.org
[mailto:casual_games-bounces at igda.org] On Behalf Of Adam Johnston
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:47 AM
To: 'IGDA Casual Games SIG Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [casual_games] "Don't Roll Over" Casuality Slides

These are all brave words, but as long as there are so many companies
happy to get anything published at all, there will be very little room
for us to negotiate.

We the mass hords of starving studios looking for a break will continue
to be happy with whatever we can get.  We'll roll over, dance for them
and turn tricks. Then we'll still hear that they want something more
like Luxor or Diner Dash.

Adam