[casual_games] "Don't Roll Over" Casuality Slides

Download Free Games games at download-free-games.com
Fri Jun 30 15:38:27 EDT 2006

I think what we have here is a situation of Russian Roulette when it
comes to paying royalties.  It's fun for awhile, but all of a sudden,
its all over.

I don't understand why portals continue to bemoan clones and cry out for
innovation yet squeeze developers for every last dime.  This makes no
sense and is a great way of destroying the very supply that keeps us all
in business.  Unless we want to see content production outsourced to the
developing world and see quality drop, we need to seriously rethink what
we are doing.

When Download Free Games transitioned to a distribution model last year,
one of my main goals was a fair revenue split with developers.  From the
inception of our new model, we have always paid developers 50% of net
revenue and in most cases, a $7 floor.  With our volume, we could have
squeezed down to 40% but I wanted to maintain a "win-win" principle
throughout every partnership.  I believe 50-50 net aptly reflects the
equal effort and importance of production and marketing and have been
happy to pay a higher rate than almost any other site.  Because we are a
small operation, we only take on select developers but have at times
included several indies with quality titles.

I would hope more developers put their foot down and refuse to partner
with portals that don't pay well.  Too many are saying "oh well" and
accepting lower rates yet complaining about it.  If you don't draw the
line, nothing will change.

Jim Rosenquist
President
Download Free Games