[casual_games] "Don't Roll Over" Casuality Slides

Joe Pantuso jpantuso at traygames.com
Fri Jun 30 16:18:54 EDT 2006

When we were first dreaming up TrayGames one of the early principles we had
was to give as much money back to the developers as we could possibly
afford.  Initially we though a 50/50 split, now we've adopted an even more
aggressive stance at 70/30.

I would hope this gets to be more the normal mode of business, and I have
every reason to believe it will be.  Microsoft has adopted the 70/30 split
as their model on XBLA.

A couple of the people on the advisory board think I'm nuts.  "The question
isn't how much it costs you to run it, it is how much of the game payment
can you keep?" one of them kept repeating to me.  My reply to him was that
if we're really going to grow this market in interesting ways, we have to
keep up a steady supply of games that pay the bills of the people making
them.

So that's what we're fighting against.  The 'grey hairs' and biz types who
come at it from a strictly "what can we keep" attitude, rather than seeing
this industry as an ecology to be nurtured.