[casual_games] Casual Games audience hardware survey ?

Jonas Beckeman list at jobe.nu
Thu May 4 06:48:53 EDT 2006

> but this is a survey of Valve-customers who are not exactly
> casual gamers. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I've suggested a joint effort to collect this kind of data numerous times on
different fora. Using a small shockwave piece connected to a webstats
counter, placed on many sites with different audiences, you can get RAM size
and gfx card.
By running data against a chipset/driver->caps db such as
http://zp.lo3.wroc.pl/cdragan/wizard.php
you could get a kind of "feature by demographic" curve.

While many seem to think it's a good idea, nobody ever commits to it. I've
got the SQL server, graphing tool, query interface etc, and the scripts are
up for grabs, so it'd be easy to start collecting, but I guess people are
hesitant about giving away information such as number of unique visitors.
Too bad.