[casual_games] A little humor on a Friday

Tom Hubina tomh at mofactor.com
Fri May 5 20:34:11 EDT 2006

1. If a contractor takes a deal knowing he can't get it done on time or
on budget, then they're a jerk who should be shot. Sadly, this happens
very often with desperate contractors who end up pushing their problems
on to their client by over-promising and not being able to deliver.
There have been multiple clients of mine where I've been bidding against
a desperate contractor who came in with a low bid and I warned the
client that they couldn't complete the project on time for those
numbers. Every single time the client has gone with the cheap guy
they've gotten screwed as a result (often needing me to come in and save
the project). Those same clients don't doubt me anymore and don't deal
with the cheap folks if they can possibly avoid it.
2. If a contractor misunderstands the requirements or overestimates
their abilities it is their duty to inform the client as soon as
possible (BEFORE the project slides into being late). Doing so allows
the client and contractor to work out a reduction in the scope of the
requirements, extend the schedule, or do whatever else is needed to get
their project finished while there is still time to do so. There have
been a few situations where this has come up and getting the client
involved as early as possible has allowed me to maintain very good
relationships and produce a product that the client is happy with. To
reinforce this point, the client should _never_ be the one to tell you
that you're running late. You should be the one to tell the client that
you _will_ be running late if something doesn't change.
3. If the requirements for a project change after the deal is finalized
then either the contractor figures out a way to accommodate the changes
within budget and schedule, or the deal is re-negotiated. Saying "Yes"
at this stage when it jeopardizes the timing of the project is just
another form of #1 above. Making the customer happy doesn't mean always
saying "Yes". Saying "No" and working with them to find a solution that
will actually work on schedule will make them much happier.

Trust isn’t something that happens just because you signed a contract
with someone. It develops over time when both parties treat each other
with respect and professionalism.

I don't know anything about your particular situation, but think about
how you've dealt with your client so far and ask yourself if you've
followed the above guidelines. If you have then if they start being a
pain they're not being reasonable (it happens, move on). If not, then do
what you can to rectify that as soon as possible.

Tom