[casual_games] Casual Games audience hardware survey ?

Hal Barwood hal at finitearts.com
Mon May 8 17:30:16 EDT 2006

I think most developers, who have a pretty good mental model of what
goes on inside their computers and who also have a positive interest in
prying (as in the current topic), tell themselves reassuring tales about
the acceptability of this practice.  Developers, however, aren't
demographically congruent with our players, to put it kindly.  Most
people I know who are civilians are either hyper-careful of
virus/privacy issues these days, or if they're kind of out-of-it, don't
care at all.  I'm guessing that both fractions are large, that a lot of
folks don't share developers blasé attitudes, and will shy away from
probes with alarming thoughts of malware dancing in their heads.

Microsoft can get away with this stuff because they provide the whole
darn operating system, they're pretty explicitly non-invasive, they've
got deep pockets, and we know where to find them.  Smaller entities
don't necessarily have the same tolerance/trust/goodwill in their favor,
so I think we need to be careful.