[casual_games] Installer/Packagers

James C. Smith james at Reflexive.net
Fri May 12 12:38:26 EDT 2006

We use Inno Setup.  It is easy to use, and powerful / flexible enough for
every casual game we have ever packaged with it (500 and counting).  It is
simple to include it as part of an automated build process since you can
control the compiler from the command line. It has very good compression. It
will compress things much smaller than Zip would but it does add overhead
for the installer itself.  It also happens to be free.

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

During game development, my automated build process compiles the game and
its assets, wraps it in a DRM, packages it with InnoSetup, and uploads it to
the beta web site all with one click.

James C. Smith
Reflexive Entertainment

-----Original Message-----
From: casual_games-bounces at igda.org [mailto:casual_games-bounces at igda.org]
On Behalf Of Todd Scott
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 9:20 AM
To: IGDA Casual Games SIG Mailing List
Subject: [casual_games] Installer/Packagers

Hi,

I am interested in what people are using to package/install their games?

Specifically, I have a continuous build process setup using Perforce, CCNet
and NAnt. Once a build completes successfully I would like a task to package
up the executables and all necessary art into a .zip, .msi, etc. type of
file that would become immediately available to beta testers.

I could create a task that would simply create a .zip file, but I'm
wondering if there is a better way....

Thanks
Todd