[casual_games] RE: How many women are playing?

Download Free Games games at download-free-games.com
Wed May 24 19:12:12 EDT 2006

 >The portals are happy to say "Oh yeah, we have x% female players

You might be talking players and they might be talking customers.
Apples and oranges.

 >I'm beginning to think that no one *really *knows* *and that 64.7% of
all statistics are bull****!

You can know by mining your customer list, survey data, or registration
list - very easy.  However, that only gives you the percentage of women
who buy games, fill out surveys, or register which might be all a portal
would be looking for.

Just like any kind of data mining, you can only do what you can do.
Getting gender demographics of every user is near impossible, they
aren't all going to tell you.  IP tagging doesn't work (too many dynamic
IPs), cookie data isn't completely useful (more than 1 user on a
computer, cookie washing etc.), even customer data could be misleading
(mom buys a game for her son - user is male, purchaser is female).
Studies show women make the vast majority of purchases in a family so it
is no wonder that the percentage could be skewing higher toward female
than it actually is.

All that taken into consideration, I think the current methods of data
mining are fairly reliable (if done right - large enough sample over a
large enough period of time) and give a very good approximation of who
the users are on that particular site.

Jim Rosenquist
President
Download Free Games