[casual_games] implementing the new IGDA data reporting standard...

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Tue Nov 7 12:09:34 EST 2006

Isaac explained how easily the standard can be implemented. In our case it
was less than 8 man hours.  I would like to explain that there is no
business case against implementing the standard.  It will not force you to
share any trade secrets or give up any control of your data.

It is easy for people to get the wrong impression when they read about the
IGDA Data Reporting Standard especially if they see all the types of data
defined in the standard.  Some people wrongly assume that this standard
requires you to share data you would normally keep privet, or send data to
people who wouldn't normally see it, or make data available at an interval
that you wouldn't normally sent it. None of that is true.

This standard doe not define what information is shared with people. It does
not define who you should share it with. It does not define how often or
when you should send it.  It does not define what channel you should sent it
over.  It is just a way to take the data you already send, and reformat it
to be machine readable so that it can be imported into databases easily.  It
is up to you to decide what data to include, who to send it to, and how
often to send it.  The most logical choice is to simple include it with the
royalty reports you already send.  The standard talks about almost every
kinds of data you could think of related to the casual games industry. But
that doesn't mean you need to send all that data. It just means that IF you
send that data, there is a standard defined to make it easy for the
recipient to consume that data easily.

If you know anyone who is considering adopting this format, but has concerns
about some standards committee controlling their business and demanding what
they sent to whom and when, then please explain to them that there is no
such issue.

I hope the whole industry will adopt this standard quickly.

James C. Smith

Producer / Lead Programmer

Reflexive Entertainment