[casual_games] Casual games: the ultimate in value add

Paul O'Sullivan paul.osullivan at morpheme.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 12:14:07 EST 2006

As a developer that has moved into the casual space from mobile, one of the
most notable changes for us has been the increased need for art resources.
It seems that casual games are the ultimate in value add: take a very simple
core mechanic and then place it in a shiny wrapper with all sorts of bells
and whistles attached.

These bells and whistles take a lot of care and attention to create and
we're finding that this has created a greater load on our art department. In
response to this we've been experimenting with outsourcing a portion of our
art requirements.

We'd be interested to know if other studios have experienced this same
phenomenon and if so, what approaches have they taken? How widespread is art
outsourcing in the industry? What common pitfalls have been experienced?

Cheers,

Paul O'Sullivan
Business Development
Morpheme Game Studios