[casual_games] Different Payment Models

Christopher Natsuume natsuume at boomzap.com
Sun Oct 8 14:58:03 EDT 2006

One thing that Vladimir brings up is the concept of "how do we extract money
from a customer who is unwilling to pay $20 for a casual game" - and I think
this is likely the most critical question in our industry right now.

The current 1-hour demo then big ass payment model is the #1 reason why we
have an industry where 20-30 games out of hundreds are making 80+% of all of
the profits. Our users are playing the other games and getting an hour (or
more with portal-switching) value out of them, but they are only paying for
the very best games. This is the death-knell for a lot of smaller studios
who are doing more innovative products that may lack some of the final
polish the AAA Top-10 games may have. Sure, some people are breaking this
mold, but I play great games from small indie developers every day that I
know will never make back their dev costs, and that makes me sad.

And the truth of the matter is - for many people, they only WANT to play a
game for 30 minutes or so, and then move on to the next game. That is a
valid entertainment, and there are valid products that fill that niche now.
In fact, our industry was built on games like this - the classic stand-up
arcade games of the 70's and 80's. Imagine how those arcades would have
failed if they had said "you can pay $20 for any ONE game here, and then
play it as much as you want." Nobody would have paid that $20. Or if someone
had said "Play any of these games here for an hour, but then you have to
stop playing that game and play a different one unless you want to pay $20."
Again - people never would have paid for a game. They would have just milled
around the arcade going from game to game. And with 1% turnover, that's
exactly what our casual users are doing right now - the vast majority of
them are just window shopping games and never paying for any of them - even
the good ones.

So instead of banging our heads against the wall of "how do we make a Zaxxon
clone have enough features to make it worth 20 bucks" maybe we should just
admit to ourselves that a Zaxxon clone is worth 25-50 cents a play, tops,
and figure out how to monetize that?

The most innovative and realistic solution I have heard to this was from
Alex St. John from Wild Tangent at the Austin Game Conference, when he was
walking through the reasons for the new "Wild Coins" payment system.
Essentially, it's $0.25 "per play" - which sounds low, but when you consider
the horrible turnover even GOOD games have (in most cases 1% or less), it
may be a really good model for a lot of us.

For instance, I know that our last game had many, many, many thousands of
downloads in a single weekend on Big Fish. At one point our highscore server
was registering over 100 unique users a MINUTE. However, our conversion was
terrible, and we didn't really see a lot of monetization from that weekend.
Which is very sad for us as a developer.

Now, if I look at the "quarter a play" model for the same game and
extrapolate that even 1/10 of the people who have played our game since
release had paid us a quarter, that game would have been deeply profitable -
even after splitting that quarter with our distributors. If I could do that
on every game, it would free us up to do some really new innovative
things... And that's good for fresh young innovative developers, no?

And looked at from the point of the consumer, I think this is a good way to
get a lot of those people who are currently leeching off the 1-hour model
into paying something. Sure - we'll lose a lot of people who are only
playing the game for the demo periods and have no intention of EVER paying
for a game, but that's no great loss. But I think there are a lot of people
who would be willing to put that same 20 bucks they are now spending on the
1 game a month they actually buy in an account that they would draw from at
a quarter a pop every time they play a game. And I think THAT audience is
going to be a lot easier to expand than the current audience of people who
are willing, at some point, to pay $20 for a single casual game.

When I talk to my parents, business school friends, etc. about it they all
agree heartily that they would NEVER pay $20 a game, but they would happily
pay a quarter a game. This is our audience speaking to us - telling us what
they want. They don't want a bigger, better game that is somehow "worth"
$20. They want a lot of small games and a lot of variety, and they want to
pay a small amount of money for each of them.

You can see some of this now in the Big Fish "game club" where they are
getting MUCH higher sales by selling the games at ~$7, but forcing the
player to buy a bunch of them. But even then, the consumer is "getting the
milk for free" with the 1 hour demo - but knowing that they HAVE to buy a
few every now and then, and that they get it at a much lower price point is
proof that the basic idea has legs. You can see a similar model in XBLA,
with people having a 1-click payment method for lower price point games,
with a much, much higher conversion. Orders of magnitude on some titles.

My understanding from Wild Tangent's lecture in Austin was that they were
doing very well with the beta of the Wild Coins model, and that they saw a
huge future in it. One of the most interesting things was that it opened up
a world of advertising opportunity that DID NOT INVOLVE SCREWING WITH OUR
GAMES. Instead of making some lame "coca-cola polar bear game" full of
branding that does not build meaningful IP for the developers, they could
give away coins for the same games we're making right now under coke lids,
etc. You get a generic-branded "Wild Coin" evry time you fill up your gas at
Citgo, and then you can download whatever you want from the site. Citgo gets
a cheap giveaway, the deveklpper gets to build interesting original IP, and
the distributor gets paid. We all win.

By having a small monetizeable unit to buy games with, we can start doing a
lot of new and interesting things that allow us to maintain our IP while
still working with big advertising companies. And again, for fresh young
developers, that's good too, no?

To be honest, I was really excited about this model when I heard them walk
through it - and was hoping:
1) To hear other opinions on the model or other possible models for
extracting money at lower price points.
2) If there is a Wild Tangent person on the mailing list, maybe they could
chime in? I'm not really the best spokesperson for it, having only gone to
the lecture... :)

Cheers,
Cn