[casual_games] Different Payment Models

Adam Johnston adam at bamtang.com
Sun Oct 8 22:50:50 EDT 2006

I'm getting the feeling that people are finally cottoning on to my earlier
findings that the casual gaming business model as they would have us
understand it is completely wrong.

Even if the top tier casual game companies of this world only put 60% of
their revenues back into <$200 k dev costs, downloadable - 60 min free - $20
at 2% conversion model> games then we should be seeing at least one or two
new titles per company per month.

These guys are all ploughing this capital into cell phone games, embedded
games for airplanes and set top boxes (and ipods).  Under these models they
get paid in a completely different way.

The top games when "Casual Gaming" caught the headlines were Zuma,
Bejewelled and Diner Dash.  What has changed?

No one is going to sign up for micro payments.  Business models will be
hinged on portal revenues and mailing list sales, ie. If you are the type
that puts down $20 for a game that fills your work day when your boss is
travelling then you will probably pay for a bunch of other mail order
garbage, so the name and address are worth about $30 to those that collect
it and redistribute it.

The last time I posted this rant I got just one response.  This company last
had a game design that became a hit in 2002 and the last game they published
was in 2004.  They told me that casual games are very profitable, but I dont
see them reinvesting in this space.  If all of these companies think that it
is so profitable why are they not coming out with new titles for this hungry
market?

2% at $20 each is dead.  Let's start asking the portals about ad revenue
sharing.

Adam Johnston
President and Creative Director
Bamtang Games