[casual_games] Different Payment Models

Vishal Gondal (GMAIL) vishalgondal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 01:03:54 EDT 2006

Hi All,

In india we have gone for a subscription price option based on the market
condition. Thought it will be a good to share will the group.

In India over 85% of all games are pirated (and in case of online we think
this is 99%) people buy the big PC games which cost $20-$30 in the market
for $2 a CD and for online games the percived value is even lower and most
people get them cracked or go to multple sites and download the games.
Therefore in a model where we offer the games at a per download model the
consumer will always find it "more attractive"  to pirate the games. We had
to therefore look at a solution which drives "Value for Money" aspect for
the consumer. We arrived with a monthly subscription price point of Rs 200
($4.4) per month in which we offer the consumers a good catalog of games of
all kind of catagories.

India had gome throught a similar issue on the pirated Movie business where
there were many corner shops renting you VHS tapes of movies for as little
as 20 cents. But with the advent of Cable TV where consumers pay a fixed
montly fee and could see an unlimited number of movie and entertainment
channel the Pirated Movie business had a big hit.. currently piracy is
limited to the absolutely new movies till the time they hit TV.. We feel
that games businesss will behave in a similar way.

Vishal Gondal
Founder & Director
Indiagames Ltd