[casual_games] multiplayer?

Allen R Partridge allen.partridge at iup.edu
Tue Oct 24 12:25:17 EDT 2006

I would guess that the reasons may be even more deeply rooted in the
psychology of the casual gamer. These are folks who talk back to the
monitor and would likely blame an inappropriate chat comment or
unexpected game maneuver on the game / portal rather than attribute
responsibility to another player.

Ink Link is a great example - but only 183 player online right now
playing it at shockwave.com I logged in and got "f*&^ you", biotch, do
me, and suck my big fat *&^% among others. In about 2 minutes of play.
You can't really see 30-40 something ladies putting up with much of
that.

If they play online communication is inevitable and unfortunately it
degrades pretty quickly if they have any freedom.

Not sure that's why, but I'm guessing its a factor. I'm sure some
folks are playing online multiplayer though. I recall a trivial
persuit game a while back that was multiplayer without communication
that was amusing. Timing is probably also an issue. I know I sensed
inconsistant timing in that game at the time.

--Allen